Key Dates in our History
Key Dates in our History

1879

School opens in Landor House on 29th April with 22 girls, a 22-year-old Headmistress, Miss Fisher, and three staff.

1880s

Boarding house established over the Porridge Pot (now Pizza Express). Tram journeys to school are commonplace.

1890s

Miss Lea becomes the school’s first graduate Headmistress and establishes a trio of Sixth Form girls.

1900s

Warwick Pageant held in 1906, with a thousand participants, including King’s High girls.

1910s

First World War. Miss Edgehill’s pupils salute the flag on Empire Day.

1920s

Headmistress Miss Gardener marries while ‘in office’ and is succeeded by Miss Eleanor Doorly, who introduces form and school councils and has many famous friends in the arts world, who come to speak to the school.

1930s

The School boarding house continues to flourish at Landor House.

1940s

Second World War. King’s shares premises with evacuated girls’ school from Birmingham. Boarding House closes after 1944 Education Act. Miss Wiseman succeeds as Headmistress by Miss Hare.

1950s

Expansion in size of school, particularly Sixth Form.

1960s

Greater numbers of girls go on to university. Much building work at King’s High including Priory Block and the gym.

1970s

Under Miss Leahy, school grows to 600+ pupils. School hat becomes ‘optional’ and virtually disappears overnight.

1980s

School uniform rules relaxed, with black pullovers and socks, and later no uniform at all for Sixth Form. Mrs Anderson becomes Headmistress.

1990s

School colours change from black and gold to pale green and royal blue.

2001

Mrs Surber becomes Headmistress. Fabulous new buildings include Sixth Form Centre, Creative Arts Centre and the Dining Hall.

 2015  Mr Nicholson, King's first Head Master, joins the school.