This is the main point of entry to our school. We generally welcome between 85 and 100 pupils into Year 7 from around 50 different schools, both state and independent.
The process is as follows:
- Informal interview with the Head Master or a member of his Senior Team, to take place when your daughter is in Year 5. We recommend the spring or summer term prior to the entrance examination for this.
- Registration by completing the application form; and for consideration for Subject Scholarships, the completion of the relevant Subject Scholarship application form.
- Entrance examination which consists of papers in English (45 minutes) combined comprehension and creative writing, Mathematics (45 minutes) and Verbal Reasoning (60 minutes including 15 minutes practice) see below for sample papers.
- Reference requested from your daughter's current school.
- Transition - we understand that starting a new school can be daunting and feel it helps with the transition process for your daughter to start to familiarise herself with what will be her new surroundings, meet fellow pupils and teachers before she starts. To help her with this, we have a programme of special events that we would strongly encourage her to attend. These events take place in December, January, February and the summer term. You will receive more information about them should your daughter be offered a place at King's.
- New Year 7 girls and their parents will be invited into school to various welcome events, these include teas (one with a quiz) and a Christmas event, plus a final summer term event to receive more information and meet their Form Tutors and new classmates.
Entry at Mid Years
Places occasionally become available in Years 8 and 9 and we are usually able to accept a few girls into the GCSE course at the start of Year 10. Acceptance is normally based on performance in an examination in English, Mathematics and a Modern Foreign Language, an interview and a report from your daughter’s current school.
It you wish to apply, please read our Key Information-Privacy Notices*, and download our application form and return it with the registration fee, to our Registrar and Head of Admissions, Mrs Worrall.
We are always delighted to warmly welcome girls from other schools to join us in Lower Sixth. To apply, please complete the appropriate sections on our application form. We are happy to discuss your application at any time during the process and to meet with you through our Sixth Form Open Evening and individual visits to the school. Taster Days are also offered.
We will usually make a provisional offer after an interview and on receipt of a satisfactory school report and GCSE predictions. You should be capable of gaining very good GCSE results, with at least the equivalent of grade B (6) in all of your subjects and usually an A or A* (7-9) in the subjects you intend to take at A Level.
We also welcome Year 10 girls to attend a Taster Day each year in June (date to be confirmed), Sixth Form Open Evening and Individual Taster days.
Any questions regarding our admissions process can be directed to our Registrar and Head of Admissions. Contact details are:
Registrar and Head of Admissions
Mrs G Worrall