King’s High introduced a new House system in 2016. The Houses were elected by current girls who opted to name them after the following inspirational female figures: (Judi) Dench, (Audrey) Hepburn, (JK) Rowling, (Emmeline) Pankhurst. Every King’s High girl and staff member is assigned a House, and a coloured badge is given to each girl to indicate house membership. The House system provides an opportunity for all girls to play a full role in school life, as they can do through their form, subjects and year groups. The House system is points based and creates leadership roles, competition, team work and brings the school together under a common aim, as well as underpinning the ethos, mission and aims of the school.
Allocation to a House – How and when?
Girls are allocated to their House before joining school in September and the ‘Mothers/Daughters/Sisters’ operate in Houses and siblings are put in the same House.
Student House leadership positions
- Head of House - Lower Sixth (Summer Term – Spring Term Upper Sixth)
- Deputy Head of House – Year 10 (Summer Term – Spring Term Year 11)
- Junior Head of House – Year 9 (September – September)
Additional captaincy roles
(running from Summer Term to Spring Term):
- House Sports Captain (Lower Sixth), Deputy Sports Captain (Yr 10 ) & Junior Sports Captain (Yr 9) (all sports)
- House Music Captain (Lower Sixth), Deputy Music Captain (Yr 10) & Junior Music Captain (Yr 9) (all music)
- House Drama Captain (Lower Sixth), Deputy Drama Captain (Yr 10) & Junior Drama Captain (Yr 9) (all drama and dance)
- House Charity Captain (Lower Sixth), Deputy Charity Captain (Yr 10) & Junior Charity Captain (Yr 9) (all fundraising)
- Years 7 & 8 Year Group representative
All Lower Sixth, Years 10, 9, 8 and 7 girls have the opportunity to put themselves forward for any of these House positions and would make a two minute maximum presentation of “why them”.
House Meetings and Events
Houses meet every few weeks. The event opportunities for House events are broad ranging and include:
House Sporting Competitions
House Crest Competition
Writing Competition/Landor Poetry
House Bake Off
Concert or other Music Events